Tuesday, 14 April 2009
Have you heard about the new law requiring carbon monoxide detectors to be in all homes by July 1, 2009? In Colorado that bill was signed into law on April 7, 2009. Whether you live in Colorado or elsewhere this law will be widespread.
Here in Colorado, there have been 9 deaths attributable to carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is emitted usually from gas furnaces and it’s odorless. The effects of carbon monoxide poisoning is a head ache, dizziness and general sleepiness. Death rates are high because furnaces usually work most of the night while we are sleeping. The effects are not noticed and the victim just sleeps into death.
The law says that all homes for sale or rent that change occupancy after July 1, 2009 must have a carbon monoxide detector. I am advising our clients to use plug in detectors with battery backup. The proper place to install these detectors is close to the ground near furnace vents. In Colorado, it’s required to have one unit per household. In other states the lobbyists want one per bedroom. What it will do to the real estate industry is add another cost. New construction will have to upgrade their smoke detectors into dual carbon & smoke detectors.
Those of you in other cold weather states, this law is coming. In general, it’s probably a good law. It also applies to rentals. Any person who has an investment property needs to take care that furnaces are serviced and certified. In addition these carbon monoxide detectors will lessen the liability of property owners.
Don’t wait, get these detectors and save yourself a ton of liability.